Monday, February 23, 2009

My weekend in Pertang

The last time I visited Pertang was during the Chinese New Year. My brother in law call during the week telling me that my durian trees are bearing flowers again. Getting excited over the news, I decided to make a trip to Pertang to view the happening. Immediately after work, arm with my Sony Camera and a pillow, I and my wife drive to Pertang through the scenic route of the Semengeh Dam and reaching Pertang at about 7pm. After cleaning our self, together with my in laws we went to the local restoran and enjoy a sumptuous dinner consist of a steam talipa fish, half portion of roast duck, pig large intestine cook with pineapple and fry eggs. The dinner cost Rm 51.00 for the 4 of us inclusive of Chinese tea.
The next morning, went for wan tan mee for breakfast then proceed straight to my durian orchard. True enough, most of the durian trees were full of the flower buds, meaning that the flowers will start to bloom in 2 weeks time. My experience is that rain is not essential during flowering as the durians will not develop. If this season with the flowering as seen and if successful, the harvest will be bountiful and pricing will not be good. Pertang durians usually landed in the KL market and also Singapore. The major supplier to Singapore is Muar in Johore.

Durian flower buds.

Part of our itinerary of this trip is to buy ducks eggs in salt water. After taking pictures of the durian flower buds, we immediately proceed to the farm that produce and sell the eggs. At the farm not only buying the eggs this time, we heard a loud cry of a bird, curious we ask the operator of the farm what that was? it was a peacock! Vow....a peacock.... in Pertang but surprisingly there were 3 peacocks. I ask permission to take pictures of the peacock and was granted to shoot whatever I like in the farm. So there I was snapping away not only on the peacocks but everything looks interesting to me.

The beautiful peacock.

The beautiful peacock showing off its tail.

The good old operator pointed out to me that there is a mulberry tree which is bearing berrys. To recap my knowledge, the silk worms is fed with mulberry leaves. Then the berrys...I went to pluck some to taste. I pluck the red ones and told my wife that the black ones are bad. Seeing me plucking only the red ones, the kind farm man shouted out to me that the black ones are the ripe ones..... shy only eh... trying to be smart!

The sweet and juicy Mulberry - the black ones.

Almost forget, the purposes here is to buy duck eggs in salt water. Bought some and say goodbye to our kind farm operator. Just before I leave this place, I saw some young coconuts and took picture for your viewing.

The duck eggs in salt water


The young coconuts.

For those of you that like to eat Petai - is season now. Pricing about Rm 30.00 for 100 stocks. Bought some on the way back to KL.

The Petai

Cheers and looking to pen my next blog soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment