Thursday, March 5, 2009

Trek up Mount Kinabalu Sabah.

I have mentioned in my last blog that I will write about trekking.

The friend of mine have actually bought Air Ticket to Sabah to trek up Mount Kinabalu or boldly " to conquer" the highest mountain in South East Asia.

Let me share my experience of mountain trekking. I started to trek in Gasing Hill. Gasing Hill can be access from both the PJ side and KL side. Gasing hill is the only Green Hill left in PJ. You can choose to enter the Green Hill in a few locations in PJ and can also choose to trek to KL side or the whole track around the hill which can last for about 1 hour. Gasing Hill is a good trek for beginner and is very popular among PJ forks during the weekends

I have done more serious treks in Gunung Nuang in Ulu Langat at Pansung. I have during my treks there met many hobbyists like myself and session trekkers. Many Universities in this country have a Trekking Club and one of their itinerary is Gunung Nuang. I have also met more serious trekkers training in Gunung Nuang for Mount Kinabalu.

Gunung Nuang has 3 stages for trekkers. First stage is Camp Lolo which is a 3 hour treks one way, next is Camp pacat which is about another 1 1/2 hour one way and finally is the summit is another 1 1/2 hour one way. For me I have only manage to reach Camp Lolo where you can enjoy clear and cold mountain stream. Up and down to Camp Lolo inclusive of 1 hour of rest will take about 6 1/2 hours as coming down the mountain will take a shorter time.


Yours truly at Gunung Nuang


Another trekker in Gunung Nuang

To me trekking is a very good hobby as it is a challenge to both our body and mine(physically and mentally). There are many good trekking sites around us, don't need to buy air ticket. What you need in this hobby is to group with people that like doing the same thing as what you like doing. Some good site for trek that I am intended to do is at Cameron Highland and maybe Gunung Tahan.

To my friend going to Sabah, I wish her well and hope she will do some research, invest in a pair of good trekking shoe, a pair of good trekking stick and what else that is necessary that will make the trek safe and enjoyable.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment